This is a condition that persons regularly come in with. Skin peeling on feet can result in a serious condition of athlete’s foot, if not quickly treated. Athlete’s foot can lead to flaking, scaling and itching of the skin, especially between the toes. This can make it uncomfortable for you as you are always scratching the feet, and also bring about a social stigma, as you do not want your friends to see how terrible your feet look.
The common cause of peeling on feet is lack of moisture or dehydration of the feet due to dryness. A skin
condition called exfoliative dermatitis can also lead to the peeling of skin, as well as the following:
- – Severe sunburn along with reddening and itching.
- – Peeling skin syndrome, an inherited and extremely rare skin disorder.
- – Cracked feet, in which dust easily accumulates, can lead to a thick peeling.
- – Eczema, a skin condition which causes inflammation and blistering.
Some of the treatment methods of peeling feet are to:
- – Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water so as to hydrate the body and maintain a proper balance of the dermal system. Dry skin which causes peeling is often not only because of excessive loss of fluid, but also the inability of the skin surface to retain moisture.
- – Apply moisturisers on the feet. You should opt for natural moisturizers like olive and almond oils, since other moisturisers could have harmful chemicals that worsen the condition. Urea is a key ingredient as well. Do massage the moisturiser on the feet daily, on mornings, and before going to bed.
- – Keep your feet clean at all times, as dirty feet can provide ideal conditions for the growth of yeast and fungi. These fungal bacteria can lead to peeling.
- – Use natural skin lotions and creams. These contain essential substances taken from plant extracts that help to promote good skin condition. For example, garlic extracts or tea tree can easily kill bacteria and fungi that can cause the peeling of your skin.
- – Do soak your feet in a lukewarm water mixture.
- – Always apply sunscreen before leaving the house for the beach, to prevent them from getting sunburn. You can also use soothing gels like Aloe Vera gel, to get rid of peeling sunburnt skin.
- – Apart from following the above mentioned tips, you should eat healthy to prevent the peeling. In case the above tips fail to work, do consult your dermatologist or your podiatrist.
Tips to Avoid Peeling Skin on Feet
Some of the tips to avoid peeling skin are:
- Prevent Your Skin From Drying – Application of harsh chemicals or soaking up of the feet in acidic solutions or substances can cause excessive dryness on your skin which can in turn cause peeling and cracking. So it is advisable to wash your feet twice during the day, and dry them properly, to control foot odour and prevent peeling and cracking of the heel.
- Check your Feet Regularly – This is very necessary, especially the areas in between your toes, for any signs of fungus. The presence of Athlete’s foot and foot fungus are considered the main causes of the peeling and itchy skin, particularly between the toes. The tendency of fungus is to spread, and it could spread up to toenails and heels too. If it is noticed in the beginning, then it can be prevented from spreading on to the toenails and heels. Therefore, it is very important to detect the fungus early on, before it damages the skin.
- Change Your Socks and Shoes Regularly – It cannot be stressed how important it is to change your socks and shoes often, and make sure that you do not use them before washing. In case you suffer from excessive sweating in your feet, then it is advisable to apply foot powder directly on your feet; you can sprinkle some powder in your shoes too. This will keep your feet dry.
- Treat the Cuts, Fungal Infections, Abrasions and Warts on the Heels and Feet – In order to maintain healthy and hygienic feet, it is very necessary to treat all existing infections. It is therefore advisable, to apply antifungal moisturising foot cream, which will not only eliminate the fungal infections, but will also treat various other conditions like smelly feet, peeling skin and cracking heels.
Your feet mirror your general health . . . cherish them!